Monday, November 7, 2011

Day 41 – Message to the Exiles

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

I think almost everyone has heard this verse at some point in their life. As Corey Russell says, it's popular for graduation cards and we usually use it to encourage people when life is feeling difficult. But, do you realize that this message was actually sent to the exiles in Babylon at the beginning of their 70 year captivity?! God wanted to encourage them because they would be in exile for the next 70 years. He also directed them to establish themselves in Babylon (verses 4-7). This really struck me today and I started thinking about how our life here on earth, waiting for Jesus' second coming, is like being in exile.

Having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth…But as it is, they desire a better county, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not [ashamed of them, to be] called their God; for He has prepared a city for them. Hebrews 11:13b, 16

In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also. John 14:2-3

Seek the welfare [or peace] of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf; for in its welfare [or peace] you will have welfare [or peace]. Jeremiah 29:7

This earth is not my home. I am an exile here while Jesus prepares a place for me in heaven. My true home is in heaven with Him for all of eternity. I desire to live in that home because I know that it is better to be with Jesus. But, for the time being, God has called me to live here, on earth. And, He asks me to pray for the welfare or peace of the earthly city where He has placed me.

In this context, I think that Jeremiah 29:11 is actually a promise that heaven is for real. I like to use this verse whenever I am wrestling with God because I perceive that He won't give me something that I want. I say to Him, "You said that You have plans for my welfare and NOT for calamity, to give me a future and a hope. I don't think that You are holding up Your end of the bargain when I look at my circumstances." But, it may be that I just have the wrong application of this Scripture. Instead of trying to use it to persuade God to change my circumstances, I can ask God to use it to change my heart and to help me live for eternity.

I also want to do my part to pray for the welfare and peace of my city so that I can join the global prayer movement that hastens the day of the LORD's return (2 Peter 3:12). I want to send up all the prayer and worship that I can to fill up those golden bowls of incense that are in heaven (Rev 5:8). I want to contribute to the songs to Jesus that are going to cover the entire earth before He returns (Isa 42:10-12). These are things that I can do now in anticipation of the day when God will bring me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment