Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Day 1

It is crazy to finally be here, starting my internship!

We spent most of today unpacking and getting to know our roommate's. I am ecstatic to say that I have been placed with people who are close to my age! I am sharing a room with Lis, who is 29 and spent 5 years teaching in Japan. (Incidentally, her name is actually Elisabeth Bennett, like in Pride and Prejudice, which I love!) Then, in the other room we have Christian, also 29, and Jessie who is 27. I am incredibly thankful to be with these lovely ladies and looking forward to sharing this adventure with them.

Dale, who directs Fire in the Night, provided our introductory session today and it was great. He explained that we are beginning internship at a crucial point in history. FITN (Fire in the Night) has just changed their sleep schedule following 90 days of consecration and research about circadian rhythms. They are also beginning a 21-day Daniel fast tonight at midnight to launch this new season and new schedule. I feel so excited to be here in the midst of all of this and to be able to take advantage of it!

Dale shared that he and his wife have been praying for us from Philippians 4, beginning in verse 4 and continuing through verse 7.

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

I thought, of course we are talking about not being anxious! I just got here and God is already reading my mail…I love it!

Dale highlighted the following points:

  • The Lord is near. He is doing something in our midst and He is near to us.
  • Be anxious for nothing. As we press in to God, especially in fasting, our junk gets stirred up and we usually become anxious.
  • The peace of God touches your spirit when you turn to the Lord and bank your hopes on Him.
    • This can surpass what traditional wisdom says and guard our spirits in peace when we are called to go against traditional wisdom.
    • Our first response to anxiety should be to turn to the Lord and process it with Him. Then, we can also get prayer from others.

He also challenged us to pray:

Here I am, Lord. Put a bulls-eye on my heart. Don't send me home without a fire on my heart.

This is definitely my prayer for this special season in my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment