Friday, October 28, 2011

Day 30 – My first Life Siege

I did my first Life Siege today and it was pretty intense.

We drove to a Planned Parenthood, put red Life tape over our mouths and then stood, silently praying, along the sidewalk for 45 minutes. I mostly used the Life-KC guide to pray. It encouraged us to focus on Jesus Christ and His blood. The guide also explained that we stand while we pray in order to symbolize that we are "standing" before God and asking Him to release a culture of Life in our city and for Jesus' blood to cover our sins in allowing abortion to continue. These are some of the verses that I meditated on and prayed during this time:

Open your mouth for the speechless, in the cause of all who are appointed to die. Open your mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy. Proverbs 31:8-9

Then the LORD said to Moses, "Rise early in the morning and stand…say, Thus says the LORD…Let My people go, that they may serve Me." Exodus 9:13

And Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand still and see the salvation of the LORD…The LORD will fight for you, and you shall hold your peace." Exodus 14:13-14

My sons, do not be negligent now, for the LORD has chosen you to stand before Him, to serve Him and that you should minister to Him and burn. 2 Chronicles 29:11

At the end of the siege, we circled up to share about our experience and take communion together. Then Benjamin, our leader, led us in praying the Life prayer 7 times, singing "What can wash away my sins?" 3 times, and then, crying out to God for mercy. This was a really intense experience for me! And not really because I encountered God is a really powerful way.

I confess that this provoked some of my "fear of man", which is probably a good thing. I found that in between prayers I was feeling worried about what other people were thinking as we stood there with red tape covering our mouths. Then, we started praying, singing and crying out, and I was thinking, "Yikes! We are in the middle of this business park and we are shouting and singing to God. People must think that we are crazy and we are probably disturbing their work right now."

I realized that I usually keep the fact that I am pro-life a secret. I always wear my life bracelet and I will tell you that I am pro-life if you ask me a direct question. But, I almost never take a public stand on this issue. And, I have never participated in such a public demonstration before. But, I love Jesus and I want to be in deep agreement with Him. And, Jesus loves life. He loves creating babies in their mothers' wombs. Jesus knows all of the days that He has ordained for that baby long before the moment of their conception. (Psalm 139:16) I believe that He is deeply grieved over each abortion that takes place because we are committing murder and we are assuming that we are equal to Him and are able to make decisions about who should live and who should die. I believe that Jesus wants to end abortion and I want to stand with Him as He makes intercession before the Father about this issue. I don't want to give in to fear about what other people may think and miss out on a chance to be in agreement with Jesus. So, I commit to standing for Life and to praying for the ending of abortion with Him.

Jesus, I plead your blood over my sins and the sins of my nation. God, end abortion and send revival to America.

No comments:

Post a Comment